Friday, June 29, 2012

Now-now

I just saw another volunteer post this comment to her blog:

"Living in Botswana you have a different sense of time. For instance, if someone says we are leaving “soon”, that means we are leaving in the next 3 hours. If we are leaving “now”, it means at least a 45-minute wait. If we are leaving “now now” we are leaving in the next 10 minutes, and you better be in the vehicle because they will leave without you. This whole “now now” business drives me crazy. I want to shout “But now means now!” I hate people saying we should meet at 2, and then not showing up until 2:45"

Reading this made me laugh, and reflect on how many times I've been frustrated with the difference between the cultures in how we view time. Everything runs a little slower here, but as a chronically late person even in the US, I have come to enjoy knowing that no matter how late I am here, someone else will be even later than me. It is NOT fun to attend meetings at 8am only to have them begin at 9am, or 10am (or 11am... or later) -- but this far in I know what to expect and I am no longer surprised. I also love saying the phrase "now-now", which used to mean just "now" in the US, but here in Bots you need extra emphasis to show you really mean NOW!

 
Here's a shout out to someone if they are reading...
Congratulations to my mom’s friend Forrest at Klahowya on his graduation, and happy belated 21st birthday!  Way to go Forrest!

1 comment:

  1. I want to share with anyone here looking for a loan for a business or personal loan to contact Mr Pedro on pedroloanss@gmail.com because Mr Pedro and his loan company is all I trust when it's comes to financial situation solution so I'm recommending anyone looking for financial assistance to contact Mr Pedro with a loan 2% rate annual return, Now? You see why I will choose Pedro with his loan company 100% genuine finance.

    ReplyDelete